Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I saw this interview of Balu only recently. As usual he was very simple and modest.

Here is a bit of it.

Anuradha SenGupta: When you sing for Rajinikanth, or Kamal Hassan, I don’t think you are trying to sound like they are singing. Am I right?

SP Balasubrahmanyam: Most people think that I change my voice for actors that I sing for. But that is not right. You are absolutely correct. The style can be different. I just try to get the vibrancy of actors in my singing. When I sing a romantic number for Kamal, I try to get the style in my singing. I mostly sung for them. It also helped me to dub them properly.


My take on this: First of all, I feel that that was a very bad question asked by the interviewer. She should probably have asked him if he had tried to sound like them rather than "telling" him what she thought. I don't know well how he sang for Kamal or Rajini(as I don't know much about Tamil songs), but there are many instances where he sounded like the actor himself singing. He is being modest as usual.

You can watch/read the interview here.
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/being-balasubrahmanyam-the-perfectionist/68767-8.html

2 comments:

  1. You'll find a big difference in Balu's voice when he sings for Rajni or Kamal. Rajni and Kamal had the best voice during their period. SPB's voice aptly suits these heroes.

    MSV for Sivaji/MGR
    SPB for Rajni/Kamal.

    Legends!!!

    ReplyDelete