Friday, April 17, 2009

Non-Telugu singers

This post by Suresh inspired me to write after a long time.

I have listened to the song "naa madi ninnu pilichindi" from Aradhana many times. As a kid I always thought it was very different and unique. I later started feeling a little "odd" whenever I heard the song. I never realised it myself that it was sung by a Hindi singer (I was small then and it was the first time I heard about Rafi). I somehow felt that the degree of oddness in that song was not very high.

Later I encountered many many songs which made me feel very odd (Many of them are due to horrible lyrics, but writing about that will make my post horribly long). Naturally and unfortunately, many non-Telugu singers who sing Telugu songs are very well reputed.

Once me and my mother were listening to radio and my mother was irritated with the female singer's accent and started criticising and I joined her. After the song, they informed that it was sung by Lata Mangeshkar. I sort of felt bad then. I listened to some Telugu songs of Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhonsle. They are great singers but not those songs. There surely are not many songs by them.

But more recently, I see a lot of Hindi singers surviving in Telugu industry in spite of their intolerable performances. I have not liked a single song by Udit Narayan in Telugu though I actually like the Hindi Udit. Sadhana Sargam is also not so good (She is better now). Disturbing thing is that there are many north singers entering Tollywood continue to sing more whereas many singers here are not getting enough opportunities.

My post is titled Non-Telugu singers, not North singers. I think I should talk about other Non-Telugu singers. Can anyone believe that Vani Jayaram and Chithra are not from Andhra Pradesh? I can't.
Most south Indian singers including the recent Karthik, Tippu have good accent. They are not a problem.

Yeah, That brings up another issue. When there are good South Indian singers around, why does anybody need to go for Sonu Nigams or Kailash Khers? (I Can't imagine Telugu worse than his). Bad thing is that the big and reputed Music Directors themselves are going for these Northers. Good thing is that I see many good South singers these days. I hope they all get opportunities and make place for themselves in the Industry.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting coincidence (Suresh, you and me). There is post which has been pending from my end also regarding the same issue of using "non native" singers to sing (kill) the songs.

    I was also about to mention the cost the Producers have to spend in bringing them here and making them sing. If you see, bollywood singers are always highest paid singers. Javed Ali, Udit, Madhu Sree etc would not sing for peanuts.

    Will publish my post soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really true!! this trend should be changed. More songs will be killed otherwise and film music will start to lose its glory.

    ReplyDelete